The University of Chester is one of the oldest providers of higher education in the country. Founded in 1839, we pre-date all but a handful of other English higher education providers. Currently, we have over 18,000 students from over 130 countries and we offer over 400 courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- 95% graduate employability rate (DLHE 2015).
- Our Careers and Employability Department has been declared “world class” and awarded 5 stars by British Quality Foundation.
- Work-based placements for undergraduate students.
- Undergraduate sandwich business courses have a one-year work placement.
- The best student union in the region for the third year running (North Educate Awards 2015)
- Safest city-based institution in the region for the third year running (The Complete University Guide 2017)
- Competitive tuition fees and affordable cost of living
- Top 30 in the UK for Student Satisfaction ( Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2016, What Uni Student Choice Awards 2016)
- Tourism and Hospitality 17th in the UK (The Complete University Guide 2017)
- Business and Management top 50 in the UK (Guardian League Table 2016)
- Accounting and Finance 14th in the UK (Guardian League Table 2017)
- Sports and Exercise Science top 20 in the UK (Guardian League Table 2016)
- Biosciences 45th in the UK (Guardian Subject League Table 2017)
- Forensic Science and Archaeology 28th in the UK
- Criminology 27th in the UK (Guardian Subject League Table 2017)
- Art and Design 34th in the UK (The Complete University Guide 2016)
- Photography 36th in the UK (Guardian Subject League Table 2017)
- Theology and Religious studies 11th in the UK (Guardian Subject League Table 2017)
- Food Science 14th in the UK (The Complete University Guide 2017)
- Nursing and Midwifery 25th in the UK (The Guardian Subject League Table 2017)
Chester is a modern and contemporary city, rich in history and culture. One of eight world famous British Heritage cities, Chester welcomes over eight million tourists each year with a wide variety of attractions. Ideally placed in the North West of England, it is less than an hour from Manchester and Liverpool, just a 2 hour direct train journey to London and close to both the beautiful Welsh coast and mountains. The city of Chester has been voted “5th Prettiest City in Europe”, “Best Place to Live in the UK” and “6th Best City in the UK”.
University of Chester campuses have excellent teaching, study and recreational facilities. These include state-of-the-art lecture theatres; open-access computer facilities; modern science, skills, language laboratories; modern libraries (which holds approximately 350,000 books); a virtual library with a collection of more than 15,000 electronic books and 13,000 electronic journals-accessible even off-campus via networked computers. Other facilities include numerous catering venues, 24-hour security, the Students’ Union Centre and bar/club, bookshop, bank, ATM cash point and launderette.
Careers and Employability
The University’s dedicated Careers and Employability department helps students make informed career planning decisions through a variety of workshops, and various events throughout the academic year.
As soon as you enrol at the University, you will have access to a range of careers services (work shadowing placements, help with CVs and job applications, mock interviews) designed to help you find work while you study, or prepare you for a graduate career.
Chester Students’ Union
Chester Students’ Union (CSU) is situated on each of the Warrington and Chester campuses and is the focal point for student representation, information, advice, entertainment and services. The CSU will give you the opportunity to make new friends and get to know the campus and the town. It runs over 70 clubs and societies, both sporting and non-sporting. The Union also organises big events, hosts comedy nights, karaoke, quiz nights, and live music.
University accommodation is guaranteed for all new international students whose accommodation application forms are received by the stated deadlines for the September intake.
University accommodation facilities include:
- Safety (24 hour, 7 days a week security team with CCTV cameras)
- Free Wi-Fi
- Includes utility bills, maintenance cleaning and insurance
There is plenty of university owned accommodation on and directly surrounding the campus, with a variety of locations and options depending on budget and preferences.